Thursday 3 May 2012

Sugar is Toxic? My Life is Now Over

This episode of "60 Minutes: Is Sugar Toxic?" has left me stunned. I almost didn't want to believe Dr. Robert Lustig as he sat in that chair telling me how I'm poisoning myself every time I want to have a bite of that chocolate bar. Considering my family owns a bakery, I remember all the whipped cream, candy and different cakes that I would have...literally a dream come true for a kid.  Kidding aside though, I had no idea how serious our sugar consumption has gotten. Not only that, but at the amount of sugar that is found in most foods, foods that don't even taste sweet! We are told that too much sugar can cause heart disease and hypertension, not to mention the number one problem being obesity. And who's at high risk? Children are. 
This episode examines the risks of having too much sugar in your diet and what the result of it is. Dr. Lustic contributed to a 2 week study done on a group of young adults which were divided in half, both consuming the same healthy diet but one half had low sugar and the other had high sugar. They discovered that the group with the diet high in sugar had a higher blood pressure than the half consuming the low sugar. That's a little worrying considering this was only a 2 week study. They also found that when the liver is overloaded with fructose, it converts the rest into fat which can lodge into blood vessels contributing to the risk of stroke. Even with the bittersweet news about sugar, I still very much liked watching "60 Minutes". Who doesn't love that classic opener of the ticking? It makes me feel 
like I know what I'm about to watch will be good. And it usually always is. I really like the interviews and how it transitions through to the end seamlessly. I would recommend "60 Minutes" to anyone who wants to hear a good news story.

No comments:

Post a Comment